Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day One

I almost drank today. I tried to distract myself first by playing some computer games. That only lasted a few minutes and I was grabbing the keys off the table and heading out the door. I made it all the way to the store. Made it into the store when I noticed something odd about the cases with the beer and wine and wine coolers. The cases were not lit up from inside like the other non-alcohol containing cases. I walked over and took a closer look. Through the handles of all the coolers with alcohol in them was a long wooden rod. I had forgotten that here in the suburbs of Atlanta you can not buy alcohol on Sundays. I got back into my car and pumped my fist in the air. Yes! I was saved. For today.

4 comments:

  1. You can do this -- if I can, anyone can. I've been craving lately, because I let go of my program and my support system.

    If you need me, I'm here. Please email me and we can talk.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your link through sober moms. I too know that you can do this. My family and I have recently relocated to a town a couple of hours away from our most recent home. I was suffering cravings and triggers due to stress and transition. I know that this is going to happen, but when it does it really throws me for a loop! I left my children crying for me at the door, and my husband throwing annoyed looks at me too when I hurried to a meeting tonight. It helps so much. I am always a little surprised how much an hour to myself with a bunch of other people who understand where I am coming from makes me feel centered, and more in control of my alcoholism. I highly recommend when you feel like you may drink using distraction until the first available meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that magical "coincidence" was a angel singing your unique song!

    Saw you at Susan's blog and saw magic ready to blossom. The challenging parts can become a source of joy....
    Aloha, come visit if you like ;-]

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Atlanta...but one day it will not be a piece of wood to save me, it will have to be God's Will, and my cooperation with that. (Although I feel certain your Higher power had something to do with it being Sunday when you went out "shopping!")

    Glad to see you on the blogs. Stay here it is a good place to do this.

    Go to sidebars of some of us, and check out the "favorites", read some, comment on them, and you will soon develop your following AND those you follow.

    ReplyDelete