Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I'm Still Here

Ha! I sure am not going to get to 365 memories at this rate. I've been up to a lot since my last post. The same stuff the rest of the world goes through. Most important is that I am still sober. I am living in a new place, a better place and while that is good, I dont have as many meetings near me as the last place I lived. I've dedicated myself to three meetings a week and sometimes find that I don't even make all of those. But I am getting better each day at disciplining myself into doing the things I must do and making those meetings no matter what is at the top of my (admittedly very long) list.

I stopped back in to force myself to post and went back and read some comments I had received and you don't know how much it means to me to know people I don't even know are rooting for me.

I feel like it is getting so much easier because I am so busy and have not had a desire or thought of drinking in so darn long. When I realized that I had passed 2 months sober and not given it much thought I knew I was heading for trouble. Ain't that a revelation? Two years ago, five years ago, ten years ago if I went a couple months with no desire to drink I would drop the whole AA thing. What would be the point, right? Oh, devil alcoholism how well I know thee now. It's when I think you are gone, no longer a bother, that you sneak up the quickest. For me, not feeling like alcohol is a daily or even weekly struggle is my surest sign that I need to head to the rooms and stay there.

5 comments:

  1. You're so right. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic - no matter what....whether we are thinking of drinking or not, whether we feel really good or really bad.

    Glad you are sticking with the AA program and way of life. If you do that, you will be successful.

    Love and prayers for you,
    PG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so happy to see a post from you! I check back a lot, and was wondering how you are doing.

    What you say makes so much sense - I feel the same way. When I start to forget the obsession, feel like my struggle isn't daily, or weekly, or often - I get scared, too. I am so happy to hear you're well, you're still in the halls, and I'm totally rooting for you!

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to be working for you Anon E. mouse. Or maybe that is because YOU are working IT? -grin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either YOU have been to my blog this morning--or someone has been to YOURS and took my URL off your blogroll. In either case (you, OR another) it was from somewhere in Africa.

    Also, in either case, it gives me a prefect opportunity to ask if you are OK? Also, do you have a job? Also, are there any disturbances, besides children, job etc., etc.
    and other crapola?

    Hope all is well. Maybe you and I can stay sober today? One more day toward the 365!!!
    Blessings, and PEACE!
    steveroni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Complacent alcoholics aren't in recovery, that's one thing I know.

    Hope everything is going well...

    ReplyDelete