Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lucky Thirteen

I have been going to meetings every single day. In the past week or so I have been going to two meetings almost every day. I am afraid to say that things feel different this time because I still have that fear of jinxing myself. But the truth is it does feel different. I am not getting all into my head about what I am doing in this recovery process and whether it can really work. I am just doing it. And it is so strange that although I still say I don't like meetings, I go rushing out the door once or twice a day to get to one. To be sure, sometimes at about half-way through I am ready to go, I get a little antsy but I am always, always glad that I went.

I had a rough couple of days over the weekend, dealing with my mother as usual. A couple of times the thought of having a drink or two or a dozen came to me just to get out of the anger or depression I was feeling. But instead, I called and talked to my sister, I watched stand-up comedy on cable, I ate a meal. I ate a lot, actually. Finally, on Saturday I raised my hand at a meeting and asked for phone numbers. My problem is that I have no fear of speaking in public in front of large crowds but I get nauseous and feel like I'll mess myself if I approach a person one-on-one. So I told the group that and at the end of the meeting ended up staying an extra 15-20 minutes while women after women came up to me to share their stories of dealing with their mothers or losing custody of their children and gave me their telephone numbers. I have not yet called any of them but I finally programmed all their numbers into my phone this morning.

Two things happened today that let me know it is time to get a sponsor - even a temporary one. One was that I almost forgot about the noon time meeting I wanted to go to and the other is that I almost didn't go to the 7pm meeting because I was feeling lazy and wanted to watch t.v. Thirteen days into this program is waaay too early to feel like I want to slack off even a little. I made both meetings and tomorrow and I will in earnest look for a sponsor.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing great. It takes SO MUCH courage to raise your hand, ask for phone numbers, tell on yourself. I share your fear of one-on-one contact - I don't have any problem speaking to groups, either. It sounds like you'll do great on commitments! If you have joined a group that does commitments, it may be worth going along on a few even before you can speak. I found that I got to know people better in the car rides there and back - it sort of forced me to socialize... I was never good at picking up the phone. I couldn't even ask anyone to be my sponsor - even four months along. Finally, my sponsor asked me. I am SO grateful she did - I was very, very close to relapse. So I wholeheartedly agree a sponsor - even a temporary one - is a great thing. If you see someone you connect with - ask her -because someone you may not want to be your sponsor could approach you, and then it is hard to say no.

    I am so grateful you are writing about your experience - you are helping me so much. I think you are so brave. Hang in there.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete