Sunday, October 11, 2009

Enabling

I went to a women's meeting this morning and like happens at 99% of meetings, the topic of discussion was just what I needed to hear. We talked about enabling, with many of the women there talking about enabling their children and how difficult it is to stop. It was interesting hearing their take on it as I was always the enabled, never the enabler. They talked about how sometimes cutting their kids off and/or kicking them out of the house is the only way to save them. For me, my parents' did not get to that point until my alcoholism was costing them their health, their money, and their respect in their neighborhood. And while I understood why they finally got to the point of kicking me out, it still made me angry.

I find that in the past few weeks, every time I am getting angry at someone, I force myself to consider how my actions brought about the situation in the first place. And what it comes down to is that every major and minor upsetting or negative situation that exists in my life right now is a direct result of my drinking or my immature feelings of entitlement (itself a result of stunted emotional growth due in large part to drinking.) Part of no longer being enabled is being allowed/forced to grow up and make decisions and take responsibility for the outcomes - good or bad - without expecting anyone to bail me out. I suppose 37 years of age and a mother of three is a good place in life to start acting like a grown-up and taking responsibility. haha.

4 comments:

  1. I am also 37, and a mom, and my reason for wanting to become sober is so I can teach my kid that it's POSSIBLE to have a great fun, and fulfilling life without alcohol. My parents, although they were not wasted all the time, or abusive, did drink around us, and quite a bit. I know that I have no boundaries when it comes to alcohol, and although I haven't had a "hit bottom" experience, I don't want to. My sister just quit drinking with her husband when she became pregnant with her first, and I am so proud of her, because they were bad bad naughty drunks, and I am happy they are not going to act that way around their kid... Stay strong.. I feel you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this timely post. It is hitting right on the mark with my current situation. I am taking as much strength and support from my sponsor and other recovering people I can to not "enable" my daughter. She is a very sick alcoholic and I know I need to keep "hands off". Otherwise, I stand between her and her higher power. There are people God has put in her life to help her and right now I can help by staying detached.

    Thank you again,
    PG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Anon E Mouse...this post is good, a "keeper"...I'm saving it in my Clipmate program for use , maybe tomorrow!

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see TWO new posts! I have been thinking about you...

    A good friend in my home group always says: "It's hard to grow up in the middle of your life."

    Amen to that.

    I'm glad to see you posting again - please keep at it! Hang in there and keep taking it a day at a time...

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete