Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Relapse is not a Requirement

Several weeks ago when I raised my hand in a meeting to ask for phone numbers, crying over the situation with possibly losing custody of my children, the first woman who came up to me was A. She was a pretty and petite woman, well coiffed, perfect makeup. In tight blue jeans and black heels, she looked ready for a Vogue photo shoot or clubbing. Handing me her phone number she hugged me and whispered in my ear "I just got my children back." I never did call her. But on the night when I picked up my 30 day chip, she came in a few minutes late. I knew right away that something was wrong. She was again dressed to the nines but something about her face....and she seemed unsteady on her feet. I knew that she had relapsed. She sat up front and at the end of the meeting they asked her to present the chips. When I got mine she gave me a hug. Outside the meeting clubhouse afterward several of us stood smoking cigarettes. Her voice was hoarse and shaky. I wanted to ask her what had happened to make her pick up again. I wanted to ask her where her children were now. Her relapse scared me. It didn't scare me into thinking "My goodness, this is what I don't want to go through ever again." It scared me because I have seen others relapse and for some reason I usually think "I'm not that bad. Anyway, she went out again and here she is at a meeting...I could do that, too." It is twisted really. I used to think the same thing when I saw someone falling down drunk in a bar or club, unable to speak coherently. I used to think, "God I never want to be like that. And I'm not so its okay to keep drinking." The problem is that it was true that I was not like those people....I was worse. Only I didn't see myself worse because by then I'd be in a blackout, suffering the shame and embarrassment only in the hungover aftermath wondering what I had done and how I had gotten this far again. No, relapse is not a requirement...to me, it is a warning and a very frightening one at that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Even though I've seen it a lot, too, this story chilled me right to the core. It is terrifying, isn't it? It really drives the point home that it is one day at a time.

    Thank you for sharing this, and your thoughts on it - I've been there, too. The disease is always talking, trying to find the loopholes. It is so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the other lady talk about herself in the meeting? If not, then you need to be with the winners. My sobriety date is 11/24/76 and in the beginning of our recovery, I think the main thing anyone needs to do is to begin separating oneself from the people who aren't sure that they don't want to drink again.

    It is a daily decision and means that you go to meetings but don't get entangled in other people's choices. What is your choice?

    Sobriety is free but it isn't cheap.
    Love, Kathy kathyberman.com.

    ReplyDelete